Health Tip: Prepare Shredded Meat in a Slow Cooker
(HealthDay News) -- Shredded meat and poultry are a great start to a wide range of meals, from chili to Mexican dishes.
But it's important to prepare the meat safely to avoid foodborne illness.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers these suggestions for preparing shredded meat in a slow cooker:
- Refer to your product's manual to determine how much meat your pot can safely hold.
- Refrigerate meat within two hours of purchase, or one hour if the room temperature is above 90 degrees F.
- Use chicken within two days of purchase, and pork or beef within four days.
- Make sure your slow cooker is clean.
- Thoroughly wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before preparing food.
Copyright © 2018 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.