bannerHON
img
HONnews
HONnews
img PATIENT / PARTICULIER img PROFESSIONNEL DE SANTE img WEBMESTRE img
img
 
img
HONcode sites
Khresmoi - new !
HONselect
News
Conferences
Images

Themes:
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q
R S T U V W X Y Z
Browse archive:
2018: F J
2017: D N O S A J J M A M F

 
  Other news for:
Emergencies
First Aid
Poisons
 Resources from HONselect
Carbon Monoxide Hazards Rise in Wintry Weather

By Robert Preidt

MONDAY, Jan. 22, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Along with other hazards, winter storms bring with them an increased risk for illness and death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a gas known as the silent killer because you can't see, smell or taste it, Dr. Diane Calello explained in a news release from Rutgers University.

To reduce your risk for carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning, Calello, medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center, said it's important to:

  • Only use generators outside and keep them more than 20 feet from both your and your neighbor's home, doors and or windows. Carbon monoxide gas from a generator can enter homes if the generator is too close.
  • Clear snow from all heating and dryer vents. Be sure that gas appliances have adequate ventilation. If necessary, keep a window slightly open to allow airflow. Make sure you open the flue when using a fireplace, too.
  • Never use the stove to heat your home. Never use generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside. This includes inside your home, basement, garage, carport, camper, boat cabin or tent. Don't even use these devices outside near an open window or door.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Monitor the batteries and replace them if needed. If detectors are old or not working properly, replace them immediately.
  • Don't idle a car in a closed garage. Don't idle a car in a snowbank, either. If your car is stuck in the snow, clear the tailpipe and surrounding area to keep exhaust fumes from getting into the car.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately and get everyone out of the building. Don't waste time opening windows. Also call the Poison Control Center -- 1-800-222-1222 -- for immediate treatment advice, Calello said.

More information

The National Safety Council has more on carbon monoxide.

SOURCE: Rutgers University, news release, January 2018

Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved. URL:http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=730025

Resources from HONselect: HONselect is the HON's medical search engine. It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the selected subject.
Carbon
Carbon Monoxide
Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Risk
Equipment and Supplies
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.

Disclaimer: The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources and may not reflect your own country regulations. The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.


Home img About us img MediaCorner img HON newsletter img Site map img Ethical policies img Contact