Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Other news for:|
| ||Resources from
Keep your family safer
(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is routinely called a "silent killer," since the toxic gas is odorless and tasteless.
More than 400 people die each year in the United States from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and more than 50,000 people visit the emergency room due to CO exposure, the CDC says.
The agency suggests how to reduce your chances of CO poisoning:
- Do not leave the motor running in a vehicle while it's in a garage.
- Never run a generator, pressure washer or any gasoline-powered engine inside an enclosed structure, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented.
- Never run a gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window or door where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
- Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent or camper.
- If you think you've been exposed to carbon monoxide, seek medical attention immediately.
Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.