Health Tip: Mental Disorders Are Common
Other news for:|
| ||Resources from
Nearly one in five Americans recently affected, surveys show
(HealthDay News) -- More than 43 million American adults, 18 percent of the U.S. population, had a mental disorder in the past year, the most recent surveys cited by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) show.
These disorders -- characterized by significant changes in mood, thoughts or behavior -- often make carrying out daily activities more difficult and impair relationships with family and friends.
If you or a loved one has a mental disorder, the agency suggests:
- Don't blame yourself or the person with the disorder. It's not an "attitude problem," but a medical condition.
- Listen to the person carefully, but don't judge him or her.
- Ask gently if you can make an appointment to see a health professional. The affected person may not be able to do this.
- As worried as you may be about the affected person, avoid the temptation to argue or convince the person of a problem.
- Take the person to the emergency room if he or she voices a desire to commit suicide.
Copyright © 2017 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.