Health Tip: Get the Nutrients You Need
Other news for:|
| ||Resources from
Even if you're vegetarian or vegan
By Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- Getting all of the dietary nutrients your body needs is critically important, especially if your diet is vegan or vegetarian.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Get plenty of calcium through dairy products, plant-based milks fortified with calcium (such as almond or soy), almonds, almond butter, leafy green vegetables, broccoli, beans and fortified foods.
- Get enough iron through beans, soybeans, eggs, fortified cereals and dark leafy greens. Eat vitamin C-rich foods with these to boost absorption.
- Eat sufficient proteins through eggs, dairy products, soy products, nuts, nut butters, legumes and whole grains.
- Get enough vitamin B12 through eggs and dairy products. If you're vegan, take a supplement or eat iron-fortified foods.
- Get enough vitamin D through dairy products, eggs and cereals, juice and soy milk fortified with vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement if you do not get enough exposure to sunlight and do not eat dairy.
Copyright © 2016 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.