Health Tip: Coping With a Muscle Cramp
Other news for:|
| ||Resources from
Start with some gentle stretching
By Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- A painful muscle cramp can occur if you don't stretch before a workout.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommends:
- Stopping any activity that led to the cramp.
- Slowly and gently stretching the muscle. Hold it in that position until the cramp subsides.
- Gently massaging the muscle while stretching it to help it relax.
- Applying heat if the muscle and others nearby are tight and tense.
- Applying cold if the muscles are sore and tender.
Copyright © 2016 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.