Health Tip: Before You Start Trying to Lose Weight
Other news for:|
| ||Resources from
Talk to your doctor first
By Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- You know losing weight will help you get healthy, but it's always a good idea to have a conversation with your doctor about your health before you start your weight-loss program.
The American Academy of Family Physicians lists these things to discuss with your doctor about your weight-loss plans:
- Ask for educational brochures or other materials from your doctor about calorie-counting, healthy eating habits and exercise.
- Ask your doctor to measure your body-mass index (a measure of body fat based on height and weight) and your waist circumference, and ask what that means for your health.
- Explain to your doctor about your current physical activity and eating habits, and talk about changes that you can make to help yourself get healthier.
- Consider how many changes you are willing to make to your lifestyle before meeting with your doctor.
- Ask for information about local specialists such as dietitians and personal trainers, and whether they may be covered by your health plan.
Copyright © 2013 . All rights reserved.
Resources from HONselect:
HONselect is the HON's medical search engine.
It retrieves scientific articles, images, conferences and web sites on the
The list of medical terms above are retrieved automatically from the article.
The text presented on this page is not a substitute for professional
medical advice. It is for your information only and may not represent your true
individual medical situation. Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider
if you have any questions or concerns. Do not use this information to diagnose or
treat a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified healthcare professional.
Be advised that HealthDay articles are derived from various sources
and may not reflect your own country regulations.
The Health On the Net Foundation does not endorse opinions,
products, or services that may appear in HealthDay articles.