The Interpretation of an amniotic fluid sample involves:
- Evaluation of the general appearance and content of the amniotic
- Blood may signal damage to the foetus, placenta, or umbilical
cord. The presence of faeces in the third trimester may indicate
foetal distress, or it may be normal.
- Chromosomes may be analysed for Down syndrome, and the levels
of alpha-fetoprotein may be measured to check for spina bifida.
- Chromosome analysis also reveals the sex of the foetus and the
risk of sex-linked disorders such as haemophilia.
- Other genes may be analysed, as well as substances related to
metabolic and developmental disorders.